The last chapter of Undoing Perpetual Stress contains a summary of what needs to be done:
How to Rewire the Brain (In twelve easy steps.)
1. Get good at mindfullness.
2. Use mindfullness to develop a deeper awareness of your feelings.
3. Use mindfullness to recognize the biases and limits of your assumptive world.
4. Build will-power, self-control, and self-respect.
5. Control the effects of stress.
6. Be skillful about your body
7. Learn to appreciate your symptoms.
8. Think with your whole mind.
9. Construct and reinforce your support system.
10. Learn intimacy skills.
11. Learn how to be happy.
12. Practice, practice, practice.